Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Nikon Vs Canon Part III

The Nikon's D300s is the ultimate in Nikon DX performance that is one step away from a full frame camera. D300s was launch on July 30th 2009 to replace the already solid D300 which was discontinued September 11th 2009. Like all Nikon non pro camera, the D300s is made in Thailand (Sawadee Ka). There is absolutely nothing wrong with it being made in Thailand . All the core parts are still made in Japan for this camera.

The D300s uses Nikon APS-C format sensor. It has a 12.3 megapixel DX format CMOS sensor. Shoots HD 720p, 24 fps video in AVI format. It has the new dedicated liveview and info button.
The D300s takes to memory card, one CF and one SD. (I would have preferred two CF slots) and most importantly a sensor cleaner. I wish I could write more info on the D300s, but its really difficult to write about something that I didn't get a hands on. As much as I would like to fill up my post with information, I will absolutely not copy and paste material that is from another source. So click here for a more in depth review on the specification.

If you are wondering what the "s" stands for, well it stands for 'Speed'. This baby can shoot at 7 fps, that is 7 shots in a second. Try clicking your tongue quickly and see how many times you can click it in one second. After doing that you will have an idea how fast 7 frames per second is. The Nikon D300s is selling for about USD1700.00 body only.

Here we have the Canon's EOS 7D. If we are going to compare the D300s with a Canon camera of the same caliber, then the 7D would be it. In my point of view, I really think that the 7D is much more beautiful and more fun (just like an old man looking at young girls) than the D300s. But the D300s more solid and is better build than the EOS 7D. Fortunately like all Canon high end product, the 7D is manufactured in the land of the rising sun, "JAPAN" . BANZAI!!!!! Call me old school, but when I spend more than $700 on an item, I will expect it to be manufactured in a country that has the reputation of making the best of everything. (I will talk more about this topic some other time)

The specification for the EOS 7D is as solid as any other cameras in its range. For starter, the EOS 7D uses Canon APS-C format 18 megapixel sensor that is just slightly small than the Nikon sensor. It also shoots 1080p HD video, a 100% viewfinder and dual DIGIC 4 image processor.

Canon's EOS 7D sells for about USD1750 body only. To me, this camera has more bang for your buck as it had more functions, funner and most important of all its made in Japan . What is there not to love about original Japanese product. Better quality and reputation. I know the quality control and quality assurance nowadays for Japanese factory outside of Japan is very strict and the item's quality and reliability is no difference from the one made in Japan. But like I said, its my personal preference.

Here is a comparison chart for you to see the size of the sensor. With this chart you can clearly see the advantage of having a bigger sensor. Bigger frame means more light will be capture on the sensor thus better image quality.

















Great places to get all your photography needs is from Adorama or from Amazon if you are from the US or Canada. And if you are from the South East Asia, I would recommend then you pay ShaShinKi a visit. They ship on the same day and normally your item will arrive in 3-4 days.

P/S: Give me some time to find enough material to write about the Nikon D700 and Canon EOS 5D MkII.

2 comments:

  1. Oh... HELL I missed have one of those gadget dude... at the moment I cant afford to have a new one but slowly la... I hope to get one soon... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a good camera is a must for everyday life now.

    ReplyDelete